Returning only alphanumeric values from a query

From: Enrique Palacios <enriquepalaciosc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Returning only alphanumeric values from a query
Date: 2010-07-26 13:55:52
Lists: pgsql-sql

HI everyone,

Im new here, this is my first mail and i would like to know how return from
a query only alphanumeric values and these symbols: ().,-%
Something like:
SELECT description FROM products WHERE productid = 5

RESULT
======
X# PRODUCT %1.0/30(UN)

DESIRED RESULT
X PRODUCT %1.0 30(UN)

I read some info, but it didnt worked out for me using regular expressions

excuse my poor english
thank you very much

--
Enrique Palacios