Re: Using PG with Windows EFS or TrueCrypt for encryption

From: "Massa, Harald Armin" <chef(at)ghum(dot)de>
To: Brady Mathis <bmathis(at)r-hsoftware(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using PG with Windows EFS or TrueCrypt for encryption
Date: 2010-12-08 13:18:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Brady,

Then I attempted to mount a normal encrypted volume with TrueCrypt, move the
> data\ and sub-folders to this volume and reconfigure PG to point to this as
> the data folder. Now, the PG service will not start at all.
>
> moving data and subfolder on NTFS is a Level-20 operation. The usual cases
for PostgreSQL-Service not starting ar:

a) user account has wrong privileges
b) user account has lost "Logon as Service"
c) password of user account was changed / invalidate by some system policy /
administrator
d) user account which the PostgreSQL service logs on with is not able to
acces the data-directories. d) is usually anaylizable via the system
eventviewer.

Most likely cause during your copy operation: the permission on the
directories where changed. OR: the link to the Data-directory (part of the
service-configuration) within services.msc is no longer valid (as in: data
in different place)

I can confirm that is possible to have a database on a TrueCrypt encrypted
volume. It is dog slow. My impression is that data from that encypted volume
is not really cached.

Harald

--
GHUM GmbH