Re: The first dedicated PostgreSQL forum

From: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>, Lee Hachadoorian <lee(dot)hachadoorian(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The first dedicated PostgreSQL forum
Date: 2010-11-22 11:22:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 1:07 AM, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:

> As has been said previously, an unlinked forum (one which has no
> interaction with the mailing list) is destined to fail, as others have
> in the past. It's creates a fragmented community and poor support on
> such a forum would reflect badly on the PostgreSQL community.
>
> Mailing lists aren't "old school". They've just got a long history,
> and I think you'll find most open source projects probably have a
> mailing list (or several) associated with them. But the reason why a
> forum hasn't been rejected out of hand is that we recognise that there
> is a demographic which probably see a mailing list as a barrier, hence
> our discussion about integrating a bidirection sync between a forum
> and a mailing list. And the reason why we like that idea is that it
> ensures that people who would only join a forum benefit from the huge
> pool of knowledge and experience of users on the mailing list.

How about exposing our archives in the forum format (linear conversations,
like GMail), and allowing registered users to send emails using a web form
which automatically copies the mailing list. This would require real time
update of archives, which I think currently takes a few minutes for a
message to show up.

This way all of our conversation history would be available even in forum
format.

Regards,
--
gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company

singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | yahoo }.com
Twitter/Skype: singh_gurjeet

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device