Linux x Windows LOCALE/ENCODING compatibility

From: Carlos Henrique Reimer <carlos(dot)reimer(at)opendb(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Linux x Windows LOCALE/ENCODING compatibility
Date: 2010-11-01 08:49:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I currently have my PostgreSQL server running in a windows box and now we're
migrating it to a Linux operational system.

Current windows configuration:
pg_controldata shows the LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE are Portuguese_Brasil.1252
psql \l command shows we have databases with encoding WIN1252 and UTF8

New Linux box:
Which --locale and --encoding options should I use for the INITDB command to
have a compatible locale and encoding cluster?
Which --encoding option should I use in the CREATEDB command to have a
compatible encoding database?

Thank you!
Reimer