[ADMIN] syntax error for no apparent reason

From: Willy-Bas Loos <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [ADMIN] syntax error for no apparent reason
Date: 2010-12-04 01:40:30
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-admin

Hi,

I've encountered this before, psql gives me a syntax error for no clear
reason. It's allways on the first character of a sql file.
I think that there must be some strange character code at the first
position, maybe it is because i share a ntfs partition with the windows
installation on my laptop and move files around.
I only editted this file with gedit, pgAdmin and vim on ubuntu lucid
desktop.

Here's the error:

postgres=# \i db02-vulling.sql
psql:db02-vulling.sql:1: ERROR: syntax error at or near "begin"
LINE 1: begin;
^
INSERT 0 10100
INSERT 0 101
INSERT 0 100
psql:db02-vulling.sql:12: WARNING: there is no transaction in progress
COMMIT
postgres=#

The file is in the attachment, both gzipped and as-is.
I hope someone can reproduce this.
(the code itself makes no sense but that's not relevant here)

WBL
--
"Patriotism is the conviction that your country is superior to all others
because you were born in it." -- George Bernard Shaw

Attachment Content-Type Size
db02-vulling.sql text/x-sql 262 bytes
db02-vulling.sql.gz application/x-gzip 168 bytes