Re: Todays git migration results

From: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Todays git migration results
Date: 2010-08-16 22:05:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 14:33, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> How exactly patches get applied into back branches?

> There was discussion about that before, but I don't know whether we
> really have a solution that will work comfortably.

I don't either, not being a -commiter I don't really follow that area much :-)

>  A couple of
> comments:
>
> * My practice has always been to develop a fix in HEAD first and then
> work backwards.  I'm going to resist any tool that tries to force me
> to do it the other way.

Yep, I agree and as you pointed out it does not work anyway (in the
sense of being able to keep the same commit id/hash) because you end
up needing to change things.

> I'd be satisfied with a tool that merges commit reports if they have the
> same log message and occur at approximately the same time, which is the
> heuristic that cvs2cl uses.

I dont think it would be to hard to code that up (main worry is it
might be dog slow). BTW the point about git cherry-pick -x is that it
includes the original commit hash in the commit message. That way we
don't have to do any guess work based on commit time and log message.