Re: Tuning massive UPDATES and GROUP BY's?

From: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
To: runner <runner(at)winning(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tuning massive UPDATES and GROUP BY's?
Date: 2011-03-14 10:17:34
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 18:36, runner <runner(at)winning(dot)com> wrote:
> Tried removing the indexes and other constraints just for
> the import but for a noob like me, this was too much to ask. Maybe
> when I get more experience.

pgAdmin should make it pretty easy. Choose each index and constraint,
save the code from the "SQL pane" for when you need to restore it, and
do a right click -> Drop

> Other than being very inefficient, and consuming
> more time than necessary, is there any other down side to importing
> into an indexed table?

Doing so will result in somewhat larger (more bloated) indexes, but
generally the performance impact of this is minimal.

Regards,
Marti