.psqlrc and custom functions (mysql-like)

From: Sandeep Srinivasa <sss(at)clearsenses(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: .psqlrc and custom functions (mysql-like)
Date: 2010-08-14 09:03:20
Lists: pgsql-general

hi,
As part of a product we are building, we are using postgres as our
database. But most of our developers have a (loud) mysql background.
I want to potentially provide "aliases" for a few commonly used mysql
functions.

I see that the .psqlrc could potentially be the place where you could
define these custom functions - I looked at
http://okbob.blogspot.com/2009/12/macros-for-epsql.html but it seems to be a
patched psql. Is is possible to have the exact same commands as defined in
that page in a .psqlrc .. via plpgsql or something ?

I might be totally way off the target here, so please correct me if I am
wrong.

As an example, how would I do something as simple as "DESCRIBE table" (yes I
know \d+ equivalent.. I still want to be able to define this function)

thanks and regards
Sandeep