Re: Case Sensitivity

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Phillip Smith <phillip(at)softworks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Case Sensitivity
Date: 2011-01-13 15:39:05
Lists: pgsql-general

2011/1/13 Phillip Smith <phillip(at)softworks(dot)com>:
> Thanks Pavel,
>
> Is this the only way?. I would prefer to use a collation setting if this is
> possible. Do you know whether there would be a performance hit using non
> standard character strings?

It is preferred way. PostgreSQL doesn't support a collations, and what
I know collation in 9.1 will not allow a comparation between case
sensitive and case insensitive text, because collation in PostgreSQL
is based on unix locale, and there are not case insensitive locale.

I don't know about performance problems. It does same work like case
insensitive collation.

Regards

Pavel Stehule