Re: Reliability of Windows versions 8.3 or 8.4

From: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reliability of Windows versions 8.3 or 8.4
Date: 2010-05-12 18:02:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> Richard Broersma wrote on 12.05.2010 17:45:
>
>> I'm considering using the windows version PostgreSQL in the following
>> conditions:
>> at least 10 years of up time (with periodic power failures<= 1 a year)
>
> I don't think you can get 10 years of up time on a Windows Server.
>
> Most of the security patches will need a reboot, and that means probably one
> reboot every month.

:) Hopefully this isn't the real reason for the catastrophe in the
Gulf of Mexico.

Actually my observation with several clients in the industry that I
work, I've noticed that systems like this never get patches applied.
If the system breaks or is known to be unreliable, then the whole
system is replaced.