[Pljava-dev] 1.4.1 Release Schedule: Friday 29th of October with Java 6 & PostgreSQL 8.4 and 9.0

From: johann at myrkraverk(dot)com (Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] 1.4.1 Release Schedule: Friday 29th of October with Java 6 & PostgreSQL 8.4 and 9.0
Date: 2010-10-11 16:58:48
Lists: pljava-dev

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 3:48 AM, Kris Jurka <books at ejurka.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson wrote:
>
>> If there are no compile errors for PostgreSQL 8.4 and 9.0 with and
>> without GCJ, 1.4.1 will be released as source Friday 29th of October
>> 2010 by me.
>
> I think a release that changes support from JDBC3 -> JDBC4 should be a major
> release (that is 1.5), not 1.4.1 which seems like a minor change. Someone
> running a server that uses a 1.4 or 1.5 JVM will be taken by surprise if
> they try upgrading from 1.4 to 1.4.1.

I am mostly adding new interfaces and rarely change existing code. An
exception would be something like todays commit.

I am using
JAVAC := javac -source 1.6 -target 1.6
in src/java/Makefile.global and it fails to compile with Java 5 and 4.
I intend to commit this change when it compiles with Java 6.

Binaries should therefore be clearly marked Java 6, such as having
java6 in their name.

So far, nothing I've done will affect existing code. If you still
think this warrants a version number like 1.5, I'll be fine with it.

>> I may or may not release binaries. ?If I do they will lag behind a day or
>> more.
>>

> I think it's important to release windows binaries. ?Building extensions on
> windows is a real pain, so to get any traction with the release, I think we
> need binaries. ?Releasing linux binaries is pretty easy, so I don't see a
> reason not to do it.

I, personally, will not make any effort at releasing binaries until
November 1st at the earliest.

Johann