Re: Configure Postgres From SQL

From: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Wilcox <hungrytom(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Configure Postgres From SQL
Date: 2010-07-12 13:34:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12 July 2010 14:29, Tom Wilcox <hungrytom(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to configure postgres from SQL?
>
> I am interested in turning off fsync for a set of queries (that take ages to
> run) and then turn fsync back on again afterwards.
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

You can only change that option in postgresql.conf and I don't see how
that could only apply to a single query. I'd focus more on optimising
your queries either by rewriting them, adding indexes
(partial/functional where appropriate), keeping things VACUUM'd or
using prepared statements.

Regards

Thom