Re: How do I configure pgAdmin to ask for username when connecting to a server?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Roger Demetrescu <roger(dot)demetrescu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How do I configure pgAdmin to ask for username when connecting to a server?
Date: 2011-03-22 13:37:17
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Roger Demetrescu <
roger(dot)demetrescu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 09:35, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Guillaume Lelarge <
> guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
> > wrote:

> >> You can't right now. But I agree that this is something I would like to
> >> have too (mostly for testing purpose). And it feels more pratical this
> >> way.
> >
> > If the username is specific to the database, then it doesn't make sense
> > ask for it when connecting to the server. What is required (I think) is
> the
> > ability to specify a role for each database. It would be stored as a
> > per-user setting alongside the schema restriction.
>
> But wouldn't that require me to connect to the server as 'postgres' ?

No, it would require you to connect as one particular user, but not
necessarily postgres.

> Otherwise how would you allow one to play as 'user2' in database2 if
> he connected as 'user1' in the server ?

By selecting a different role as I suggested.

> Anyway, I never heard about one been able to play multiples roles
> using the same connection.

Different databases always have different connections.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company