Re: Why i see several postgres server processes sometimes ?

From: "Massa, Harald Armin" <chef(at)ghum(dot)de>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Georgi Ivanov <georgi(dot)r(dot)ivanov(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why i see several postgres server processes sometimes ?
Date: 2010-10-06 17:53:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Peter,

> This is normal. Postgres is said to have a multi-process architecture
> (which is often contrasted with a multi threaded architecture). The
> number of processes isn't very predictable.
>
> you are right, it is normal.

But the number of processes is quite predictable:

on default PostgreSQL starts up with 5 processes:

one background-writer
one postmaster who masters the startup of additional progresses
one autovacuum-daemon
two processes which I have not leveled up enough to know what they are doing

And then there is one additional process for every client connection.

Harald

--
GHUM GmbH
Harald Armin Massa