Re: MySQL versus Postgres

From: Sandeep Srinivasa <sss(at)clearsenses(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Ma Sivakumar <masivakumar(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL versus Postgres
Date: 2010-08-12 05:35:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> If only it were that easy. 25%, but only on a dedicated server, don't go
> above 8GB, limit to much less than that on Windows, and be extremely careful
> if you're writing heavily lest large checkpoints squash you. Giving simple
> advice that people might follow without thinking about actually has some
> worst-case downsides that are worse than not tuning the server at all.
>

> This makes Increasing work_mem is a complex calculation for a new user
>> trying out PostgreSQL.
>>

> Increasing work_mem is a complex calculation for everyone, not just new
> users. If it were easy for anyone, we'd just bottle whatever experts do
> into the software directly. I tried doing a round of that with pgtune, and
> it's still not quite right yet even after surveying everyone who had an
> opinion on the subject.

Maybe a tabular form would be nice - "work_mem" under a) windows < 8GB b)
windows > 8gb c) linux < 8gb d) linux > 8gb e) read-heavy f) write-heavy
g)log shipping enabled.... etc etc.
Rinse and repeat for all important parameters - in a wiki, you can do nifty
things like add footnotes, etc.
That would be awesome!

-Sandeep