Re: Unable to determine what has a particular OID

From: Andy Dale <andy(dot)dale(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unable to determine what has a particular OID
Date: 2010-06-18 14:15:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On 18 June 2010 16:06, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Andy Dale <andy(dot)dale(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > After looking into the the data directory a particular file/oid is around
> 21
> > GB (the oid has 21 files), this OID can then be found in the pg_class
> table,
> > the explanation for the size being that the table has around 12.5 Million
> > rows. During the inspection of the data directory I observed another OID
> > that is around 8.5GB, but I cannot locate the corresponding entry in the
> > pg_class table (even after dumping the table into a file and grep-ing for
> > the OID in question).
>
> You should be looking at pg_class.relfilenode, not OID. See
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/storage.html
>
> regards, tom lane

Ok, but when I have dumped the pg_class table into a file like so:

-[ RECORD 1
]--+----------------------------------------------------------------
relname | pg_type
relnamespace | 11
reltype | 71
relowner | 10
relam | 0
relfilenode | 1247
reltablespace | 0
relpages | 19
reltuples | 796
reltoastrelid | 0
reltoastidxid | 0
relhasindex | t
relisshared | f
relkind | r
relnatts | 26
relchecks | 0
reltriggers | 0
relukeys | 0
relfkeys | 0
relrefs | 0
relhasoids | t
relhaspkey | f
relhasrules | f
relhassubclass | f
relfrozenxid | 379
relacl | {=r/postgres}
reloptions |
-[ RECORD 2
]--+----------------------------------------------------------------
relname | triggered_update_columns
relnamespace | 11313
reltype | 11477
relowner | 10
relam | 0
relfilenode | 11476
reltablespace | 0
relpages | 0
reltuples | 0
reltoastrelid | 0

Grep-ing for the correct oid/filenode (110660 in my case), nothing is
returned.

Cheers,

Andy