Re: Quick Extensions Question

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Quick Extensions Question
Date: 2011-03-03 16:39:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> So what?  AFAIK the extension patch hasn't broken anything here that
> used to work.  People can still install languages the way they always
> have.  What we're talking about here is a way of installing languages
> that is arguably nicer than what they are doing now.  The window for
> feature enhancements is already closed until 9.2, unless you want to
> Feedback during this last CommitFest.

No, what is being talked about isn't intended as a "way of installing
languages that is ... nicer". What is being talked about is allowing
an "Extension" that is being installed know that it's going to blow up
because it's required language (plpgsql, for instance) isn't
installed.

Maybe it's a problem with extensions that isn't easily solvable, but
that means extension authors are going to have a readme in their
extension with the followign text:
EXTENSION "mystuff" requires that pl/pgsql be installed in the
database. There is no way for the extension to check this before
it is installed, so make sure it's installed, or be prepared to
cope with errors during the installation.

And make sure you don't try and drop pl/pgsql language when
the extension is installed either.

Maybe that's enough for 9.1.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca                                       command like a king,