two different posgres t for Rails development?

From: bitur mail <biturmail(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: two different posgres t for Rails development?
Date: 2010-08-28 16:41:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I was wondering if there would be a problem using Postgres 8.4 for my Rails
development database and Postgres 8.1 for my production database.

8.1 is what is available with my shared web hosting provider, but 8.4 is the
support (repo) version for my local Ubuntu machine.

I tried installing 8.1 from source on my local machine but apparently I
still need a postgresql-client library that matches the Postgres version,
and I can't seem to find that. So if there's no real issue going backward
from 8.4 to 8.1, I'd like to just use Ubuntu's supported version for
developing my Rails apps locally.

Thanks for any insight,
Derrick