Re: Linux

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Gould <mgould(at)intermodalsoftwaresolutions(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux
Date: 2010-11-04 15:54:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Michael Gould
<mgould(at)intermodalsoftwaresolutions(dot)net> wrote:
> I know that this is probably a "religion" issue but we are looking to move
> Postgres to a Linux server.  We currently have a Windows 2008 R2 active
> directory and all of the other servers are virtualized via VMWare ESXi.  One
> of the reasons is that we want to use a 64 bit Postgres server and the UUID
> processing contrib module does not provide a 64 bit version for Windows.  I
> would also assume that the database when properly tuned will probably run
> faster in a *inx environment.
>
> What and why should I look at certain distributions?  It appears from what I
> read, Ubanta is a good desktop but not a server.

I've used RHEL, Centos, and Ubuntu as postgresql servers. Latest
servers are Ubuntu because I needed a stable release with a late model
kernel to support and scale on 48 cores. That said there were some
serious bumps in the road to getting 10.04 to work on our servers.