Re: Is it possible to get DISTINCT rows from RETURNING clause?

From: Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: gnanam(at)zoniac(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is it possible to get DISTINCT rows from RETURNING clause?
Date: 2011-02-19 10:00:55
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hey Gnanakumar,

You can wrap you UPDATE query into SQL function returning TABLE, e.g:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.update_mytable()
RETURNS TABLE(email text, column1 text, column2 text, column3 text)
LANGUAGE sql
AS $function$
UPDATE MYTABLE SET ABOOLEANCOLUMN = true FROM MYTEMPTABLE WHERE EMAIL =
MYTEMPTABLE.EMAIL RETURNING EMAIL, COLUMN1, COLUMN2, COLUMN3;
$function$;

Next you can write, e.g:
SELECT DISTINCT * FROM
(SELECT update_mytable()) AS foo(email, column1, column2, column3);

And so on.