[Pljava-dev] Ongoing Development (funding): 8.4, Java 6 and beyond

From: johann at myrkraverk(dot)com (Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Ongoing Development (funding): 8.4, Java 6 and beyond
Date: 2010-10-05 21:11:27
Lists: pljava-dev

Hi pljava,

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Peter Brewer <p.brewer at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Seeing as we clearly have very limited resources I'd vote for trimming down
> support to as few combinations as possible. ?Certainly we shouldn't worry
> about EoLd stuff. ?I'd vote for only supporting Java6 and current PG
> versions.

>From the release/support policy page:

PostgreSQL 7.4 July 2010 (extended)
PostgreSQL 8.0 July 2010 (extended)
PostgreSQL 8.1 November 2010
PostgreSQL 8.2 December 2011
PostgreSQL 8.3 February 2013
PostgreSQL 8.4 July 2014
PostgreSQL 9.0 September 2015

This means (right now) Java 6 support for 8.{2,3,4} and 9. If someone
is willing to give me access to (virtual) unix servers running the
current PGs it will speed up my workflow. Everytime I need to
download, possibly compile, and install yet another PG release is time
I won't be coding. That task may even be put off indefinitely since
system administration is not my favorite sport.

If you want to support me directly with the project you can:

o Give me access to a unix server running something I don't have at the moment.

o Or better, send me a fully set up and configured box.

o Pay me to work on a specific release/platform. Possibly with funds
to buy hardware/software.

Right now, my time is being spent, casually, on Java 6 support for 8.4
on a 32 bit Linux. That work should apply directly to 8.3 and 8.2 but
at the moment I don't have a way to test it. Coding pljava itself is
taking my time away from actually using it, and coding that project is
taking time away from using it for what I started with in the first
place.

If you want Java 6 *now* you'll have to bring out some bucks and I can
probably give you "something that works" within a week.

Johann