Tools for partitioning and query optimization

From: Matt Harrison <matthewharrison(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Tools for partitioning and query optimization
Date: 2010-10-19 16:13:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Hey Folks-

I've got 2 projects out that I'm finding useful, so I thought I'd share with
the wider postgres community.

The first is PgPartition [0]. This (python) tool eliminates the monotony of
dealing with partitions. It generates SQL to create/index/remove/alter
partitions.

The second is PgTweak [1]. This is a somewhat nascent (also python)
project, but I hope for it to be more useful. The main idea is to try out
different setting combinations and to see what effect they have on query
performance. It does this right now. I'd like for it to analyze the
EXPLAIN ANALYZE output and make somewhat intelligent suggestions.

Any feedback is appreciated. Hopefully these tools are useful to others.

cheers,

matt

0 - http://github.com/mattharrison/PgPartition
1 - http://github.com/mattharrison/PgTweak