Re: solaris slow

From: Felipe de Jesús Molina Bravo <fjmolinabravo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: solaris slow
Date: 2010-08-02 21:42:55
Lists: pgsql-general

El 2 de agosto de 2010 19:14, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> escribió:

> On 08/02/10 7:35 AM, Felipe de Jesús Molina Bravo wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>

>> I have installed postgres 8.4.4 (libxml and plperl)on a Sun Microsystems
>> sun4u Sun Fire 880 with:
>>
>> - 4 700Mhz processors
>>
>> Also I have installed postgres (8.4.2) on a PC (Dell Optiplex 960) with
>> the next characteristics:
>>
>> - 3 Gb ram
>> - 1 processor of 3.2 Ghz Dual Core

> dual 3.2Ghz Core2 processor cores are going to be far faster than a 9 year
> old quad 700Mhz ultrasparc-III's, regardless of the operating system.
>
> If you want to compare operating system performance, you should do so on
> the same hardware platform.
>
> btw, the standard disks on a SunFire 880 are FC-AL not SCSI... old 1Gbps
> FC, I believe, with 36-146GB 10K rpm FC drives standard, with all the
> internal drives sharing the same 1Gbps FC port.

> Another factor, if your linux system was using LVM (its the default storage
> configuration on many distributions), there's a pretty good chance the drive
> mapper is ignoring write barriers, which greatly speeds up random writes at
> the expense of reliable commits.
>
> My file-system is Reiser 3.

I try with "CACHE turned on" (recommendation from Josua ... thanks) with
the same results.

I tried to migrate my database from the PC to Sun ... with the same
performance.....but I can not

My conclution is:

I'll ever get similar performance because the technology of PC is more
recent than SUN ....

thanks to all for your answers

see you