Re: query_id, pg_stat_activity, extended query protocol

From: Sami Imseih <samimseih(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anthonin Bonnefoy <anthonin(dot)bonnefoy(at)datadoghq(dot)com>, "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>, Andrei Lepikhov <lepihov(at)gmail(dot)com>, kaido vaikla <kaido(dot)vaikla(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: query_id, pg_stat_activity, extended query protocol
Date: 2024-09-17 22:01:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Then, please see attached two lightly-updated patches. 0001 is for a
> backpatch down to v14. This is yours to force things in the exec and
> bind messages for all portal types, with the test (placed elsewhere in
> 14~15 branches). 0002 is for HEAD to add some sanity checks, blowing
> up the tests of pg_stat_statements if one is not careful with the
> query ID reporting.

These 2 patches look good to me; except for the slight typo
In the commit message of 0002. "backpatch" instead of "backpatck".

That leaves us with considering v5-0002 [1]. I do think this is good
for overall correctness of the queryId being advertised after a cache
revalidation, even if users of pg_stat_activity will hardly notice this.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/DB325894-3EE3-4B2E-A18C-4B34E7B2F5EC%40gmail.com

Regards,

Sami