Bug, feature, quirk? HELP

From: "Stoppel, Brett W" <bstoppel(at)ku(dot)edu>
To: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Bug, feature, quirk? HELP
Date: 2001-04-15 11:31:24
Lists: pgsql-general

I tried the following command

db=> SELECT DISTINCT name, city FROM table ORDER BY trim(table.name);
ERROR: For SELECT DISTINCT, ORDER BY expressions must appear in target list

As you can tell, it failed. This is a bit annoying for I am relying on a
similar command for one of my projects. Does anyone have any ideas what is
going on? Are there work arounds? Should I just give up for now (i.e. wait
for 7.1+n to come out)?