Re: PITR Recovery and out-of-sync indexes

From: Brian Wipf <brian(at)clickspace(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PITR Recovery and out-of-sync indexes
Date: 2007-10-04 15:21:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4-Oct-07, at 8:14 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> The First Commandment is Make Thy Servers Identical, which applies to
> OS, OS version, disk layouts/config as well as basic hardware. If
> they're not then you're going to get some strange results.

Other than the corrupt indexes on varchar columns, there appear to be
no problems. The UTF-8 data in our case is all okay. Once we use
compatible locales even the indexes will be okay. Although identical
servers guarantees no issues with PITR, testing may show non-
identical servers may work okay too. In our case, an Intel Xserve
running Mac OS X being the backup to an openSUSE Linux box.

The Apple Xserve is easy to maintain and rock solid reliable. If it
had better performance to its Fibre Channel RAID array, it would be a
better main server too. The Linux box is a better performer, but in
our experience at least, more difficult to maintain when things go
wrong.

Brian Wipf
ClickSpace Interactive Inc.
<brian(at)clickspace(dot)com>