Modelling Oracle Sequences

From: Julian North <jnorth(at)lastminute(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Modelling Oracle Sequences
Date: 2003-11-21 09:23:53
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I am in the process of porting a number of large MSSQL databases to
Postgres.

The current id generation model in SQL server is an oracle style sequence
generator i wrote using a pretty simple stored proc and table structure.

I now need to do the same thnig in postgres.

In MSSQL I was able to open an UPDATE cursor, which places a lock on the row
in the sequence table. I then update, release and return.

Has anyone done something similar or have any pointers on how to do this
safely, securely without an update cursor?

Any infor appreciated.

Cheers,

Julian.

http://www.star.net.uk