Re: Fixing Google Search on the docs (redux)

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixing Google Search on the docs (redux)
Date: 2020-11-18 18:08:39
Lists: pgsql-www

> On Nov 18, 2020, at 10:03, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> So today the default is really bad, but the exact right thing is possible.
> With the change, the default would be less bad (but not necessarily
> exactly right), and the exact right thing would be impossible.

We're kind of speculating that "oh, right, I have to slap a version number on when I search by Google" is less frustrating or more common than just "click on the wrong version result and then navigate to the right version result."

I also think it's a benefit to prioritize the most recent version on external search hits.

I haven't significant complaints within the Django community about the way they handle it, and that's with the Django documentation being *much* less well-organized than the PostgreSQL documentation (and thus more reliant on external search engines to find the right thing).
--
-- Christophe Pettus
xof(at)thebuild(dot)com