Re: How to install latest stable postgresql on Debian

From: "Andrus" <kobruleht2(at)hot(dot)ee>
To: "Adrian Klaver" <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to install latest stable postgresql on Debian
Date: 2011-11-19 18:36:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Adrian,

>For tuning tips a good start is:
>http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Performance_Optimization
>In particular:
>http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server
>For books take a look at:
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/books/

thank you very much. Reading them requires lot of time. I'm looking for
quick optimization for 2 GB RAM.
postgresql.conf contains

shared_buffers = 24MB # min 128kB
#temp_buffers = 8MB # min 800kB
#max_prepared_transactions = 0 # zero disables the feature
#work_mem = 1MB # min 64kB
#maintenance_work_mem = 16MB # min 1MB
#max_stack_depth = 2MB # min 100kB

Probably only few settings like shared_buffers needs adjusting for 2 gb

In windows I use enterpicedb tuning wizard which does this automatically.
Maybe something works in Debian also.
Or this there quick guide how to change most important settings.

Andrus.