Re: Request to confirm which command is use for exclusive operation

From: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "'Yogesh Sharma *EXTERN*'" <yogeshraj95(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request to confirm which command is use for exclusive operation
Date: 2017-03-08 09:24:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Yogesh Sharma wrote:
> I want to apply explicitly lock mechanism once inset operation is in progress then REINDEX will wait.
> And vice versa.
> So, please let me know this type of handling is possible.

Maybe I misunderstand something, but you don't need to do that because it
happens automatically.

If you run REINDEX, it will take an ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock on the index
before it starts its work.

That means that it has to wait until all earlier INSERTing transactions are
ended, and all INSERTs that come after the REINDEX will have to wait until
the REINDEX is done.

The database takes care that the data are consistent, so why would you
want to do that explicitly?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe