Re: Postgresql 9.5 committing and log sequence number

From: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "'Poul Kristensen *EXTERN*'" <bcc5226(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql 9.5 committing and log sequence number
Date: 2016-11-11 11:56:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

Poul Kristensen wrote:
> I/we use replication
> Sender and receiver process is showing the log sequence
> number.
> I assume that the log sequence is changing after every commit of an update or more updates.
> I assume that the archive log is changing after every commit of an update or
> more updates.
>
> Going to test a PITR I need to know where to look for the log sequence number after PITR.

The log sequence number is not a good way to measure the success of PITR,
since after a successful PITR PostgreSQL will switch to a new time line,
and the log sequence will change.

Two ideas:
- Get the transaction ID with
SELECT txid_current();
You can use that with the "recovery_target_xid" parameter in recovery.conf.

- Use pg_create_restore_point() to create a restore point and use that with
"recovery_target_name" in recovery.conf.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe