Re: JBDC LDAP support

From: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "John Neal *EXTERN*" <john(dot)neal(at)fedex(dot)com>, "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JBDC LDAP support
Date: 2014-07-21 07:52:34
Lists: pgsql-jdbc pgsql-novice

CC: to pgsql-jdbc

John Neal wrote:
> Does the postgres JDBC driver include LDAP support? I was able to get psql to connect via LDAP using
> pg_service.conf (so I can confirm that the LDAP entry is correct), but a majority of our applications
> use jdbc to connect.
>
> For example, normally our java apps would connect to Oracle with a url like this:
>
> jdbc:oracle:thin:@ldap://oid.myserver.com/ABC_APP_L3,cn=OracleContext
>
> However, I’m not able to find a way to accomplish similar with postgres. I’ve confirmed that the
> driver (postgresql-9.3-1102.jdbc4.jar) works when specifying the hostname, dbname, and port. When
> using LDAP, this is what I would expect, but it doesn’t work.
>
> jdbc:postgresql:@ldap:// oid.myserver.com/ ABC_APP_L3,cn=PostgresContext
>
> I’d appreciate any advice.

I think you are referring to this functionality:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/libpq-ldap.html

This is part of the libpg shared library, and the JDBC driver does not use libpq.

Unfortunately the JDBC driver does not support a similar functionality, although
I think it would certainly be a nice thing to add.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe