Re: PGSQL-IDLE connection problem

From: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Sathish Reddy Yelala *EXTERN*" <sathishy040(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Flavio Henrique Araque Gurgel" <flavio(at)4linux(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGSQL-IDLE connection problem
Date: 2013-01-30 08:08:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Sathish Reddy Yelala wrote:
> Thanks for the response.Here I have few more queries regarding Connections.
>
> 1.When the connection goes to <IDLE> state

When the server has completed a request and waits for
the next one.

> 2. when the <IDLE> connection becomes active

When the server receives the next request from the client.

> 3.Is there any chance to database get slow because of <IDLE> connections

It's unlikely, but not impossible, if the idle connections
hog enough system resources to affect the server.
Also a very large value for max_connections might affect
performance of some internal data structures
(see http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Number_Of_Database_Connections).

However, idle connections are not the first place where I would
look for the cause of a performance problem.
Connections "idle in transaction" are more likely to cause trouble.

How big is max_connections?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe