Re: reindexing db

From: Paul Förster <paul(dot)foerster(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reindexing db
Date: 2020-12-08 07:21:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Ron,

> On 08. Dec, 2020, at 07:59, Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Probably a habit from my VAX/VMS days, but I prefer to enumerate every table, not only for tracking but so that if the command fails 90% of the way through, I can skip over the the completed portions.

doing this IMHO defeats the purpose of concurrency because you'd have to issue reindex statements sequentially. Also, but I definitely can't say for sure, reindexdb should skip and report indexes which it has a problem with and then continue to do the remaining indexes. But as I said, I may be wrong with this.

Cheers,
Paul