Had to drop some table columns, managed to annoy MS Access

From: Cheryl Thompson <cthompso(at)ci(dot)irving(dot)tx(dot)us>
To: "'pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Had to drop some table columns, managed to annoy MS Access
Date: 2003-01-13 21:21:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

Ok,
I designed a simple DB (5 tables) using psql through cygwin (running ipc,
too) on Windows 2000.
My users will be (most likely) using Access as a front end. As I actually
know my way around Access, I was using it for data entry.

However,
I discovered some of my fields were not large enough, etc. when entering
test data (which is why you use test data to test :D).

I used psql alter commands to drop columns and add new ones (no data to
loose), and then went in and deleted all my linked tables in Access and
tried to relink.

I'm getting the following:
'..............pg.dropped.8........................' is not a valid name.
Make sure that it does not contain invalid characters or punctuation and
that it is not too long.

This is the psql \d information for the table in question:
Table "public.event"
Column | Type | Modifiers
--------------+-----------------+-------------------------------------------
------------------
aeventid | integer | not null default
nextval('public.event_aeventid_seq'::text)
title | character(500) | not null
alocationid | smallint | not null
asponsorid | smallint | not null
notes | character(1000) |
description | character(3000) | not null
contactphone | character(20) |
adateid | smallint | not null
pricehigh | numeric(9,2) |
pricelow | numeric(9,2) | not null
category | character(20) | not null
contactname | character(150) |
contactemail | character(200) |
Indexes: event_pkey primary key btree (aeventid)

Can someone explain what's going on, and more importantly, what I can do
about it?

I didn't create this DB through a script.. I would prefer not to have to
recreate it again. Ugh.

Thanks,
Cheryl in Irving