object dependency workaround

From: "Little, Douglas" <DOUGLAS(dot)LITTLE(at)orbitz(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: object dependency workaround
Date: 2009-10-05 14:12:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,
We're migrating to Greenplum, and in our currently portfolio we base everything on views.
In our prior system, we could alter tables and then refresh the views, but in PG/greenplum most alters are blocked because of the dependent objects.

I understand that I can walk the pg_depends table to see the linkages, but what I really want to know
Is there a way to change the system behavior so that ALTERs are allowed, perhaps invalidating dependent objects

Short of this, is there a recommended framework/functions for spooling off the dependent objects, performing the alter and then recreating all of the dependent objects?

Thanks in advance.
Doug Little
Sr. Data Warehouse Architect | Enterprise Data Management | Orbitz Worldwide
Douglas(dot)Little(at)orbitz(dot)com<mailto:Douglas(dot)Little(at)orbitz(dot)com>

[cid:image002(dot)jpg(at)01CA459B(dot)F991A680] orbitz.com<http://www.orbitz.com/> | ebookers.com<http://www.ebookers.com/> | hotelclub.com<http://www.hotelclub.com/> | cheaptickets.com<http://www.cheaptickets.com/> | ratestogo.com<http://www.ratestogo.com/> | asiahotels.com<http://www.asiahotels.com/>