Owner Issue When Migrating Database to New Server

From: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Owner Issue When Migrating Database to New Server
Date: 2007-08-15 11:29:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

PostgreSQL: 8.2.4

OS: Linux Red Hat 4.x 64 bit

I have a database running on serverA with postgres user userA. I want
to migrate the database to ServerB with a postgres user userB. Notice
the users are not the same. I did the following to put the database on
the new server:

1) I created the database on serverB with userB.

2) I then did pg_dump -h serverA -U userA dbname | psql -h serverB
-U userB dbname

This of course failed. The user userA was not in the database found on
serverB. I then did the following:

1) I created the database on serverB with userB.

2) On serverB I did pg_dump -h serverA -U userA dbname >
postgreSQL.out

3) I then did a find and replace on userA with userB through NANO
on the file postgreSQL.out

4) I then did psql -h serverB -U userB dbname -f postgreSQL.out

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect