I can not add up columns when using a left outer join. Any ideas as to why?

From: "Robert Balzli Jr" <robert(dot)balzli(at)xilinx(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: I can not add up columns when using a left outer join. Any ideas as to why?
Date: 2006-11-03 00:57:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All,

I want to add x and y. John and Joe do not have a "y" value, so the LEFT
JOIN returns NULL. Likewise Jane does not have a value for "x" so the
LEFT JOIN returns null for her. The "x" and "y" columns are correct, but
I would expect the "total" column to have 24, 232, and 4. myview is a
view that converts id numbers to the actual names. run, project and name
come from myview. Both x and y come from the site table.

Here is my query:

SELECT project,name,

site.x,

site.y,

(site.x + site.y) AS "total"

FROM myview

LEFT JOIN site ON site.run_id = run

Here is what I get back...

project

name

total

6657

John

24

9065

Joe

232

21541

Jane

4

Can anyone tell me why the "total" column is empty?

Does the LEFT JOIN not apply to expressions?

Thanks for any help,

Robert Balzli