Re: lifetime of the old CTID

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: Matthias Apitz <guru(at)unixarea(dot)de>
Cc: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: lifetime of the old CTID
Date: 2022-07-06 19:56:55
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Jul 6, 2022, at 12:51, Matthias Apitz <guru(at)unixarea(dot)de> wrote:
> it is uniqu to identify a row in a table once
> known.

I think the point that we are trying to make here is that a ctid *isn't* that. There is no guarantee, at all, at any level, that the ctid of a row will remain stable, not even between two SELECT statements. (Although it doesn't right now, I could easily image some kind of repack logic in PostgreSQL that runs on read operations, not just write.) It shouldn't be considered an API. I understand that it might be painful to change to a generated primary key, but I think that will be less painful in the long run than having to stay ahead of PostgreSQL's internals.