Re: Max number of tables in a db?

From: "Colin 't Hart" <cthart(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Max number of tables in a db?
Date: 2001-08-17 15:40:12
Lists: pgsql-general

> A couple of further notes --- there are Unix filesystems that don't suck
> with large directories, but I'm not sure whether any of the ones in
> common use have smart directory handling. The typical approach is that
> file opens, creates, deletes require a linear scan of the directory.

Linux (kernel) 2.2.x or later (including 2.4.x) have a directory cache
(I think hashed, but could also be btree) which means that subsequent
file opens are (very) fast, and very large directories are not a problem,
provided the cache doesn't age sufficiently to be discarded.

How does Postgres do its file handling? How many files can it have open
simultaneously?

Cheers,

Colin