Re: ZFS filesystem - supported ?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala(dot)mladen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Lucas <root(at)sud0(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ZFS filesystem - supported ?
Date: 2021-11-02 02:43:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On 11/1/21 17:58, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Well, at least one alternative to performing these snapshots would be to
> use a tool like pg_basebackup or pgbackrest to perform the backups
> instead.

File system based backups are much slower than snapshots. The
feasibility of file based utility like pg_basebackup depends on the size
of the database and the quality of the infrastructure. However, if
opting for snapshot based solutions, I would advise something like Pure
or NetApp which use special hardware to accelerate the process and have
tools to backup snapshots, like SnapVault (NetApp).

Also, when using file level utilities, I would go full commercial.
Commercial backup utilities are usually optimized for speed, support
deduplication and maintain backup catalog, which can come handy if there
are regulatory requirements about preserving your backups (HIPPA, SOX)

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant