Question on Starting Postgres for the first time

From: "David Stevenson" <dstevenson(at)eastlink(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Question on Starting Postgres for the first time
Date: 2001-05-12 16:00:35
Lists: pgsql-general

I am a new user of PostgreSQL and Linux. I have my Linux up and running and
my PostgreSQl semi-configured. I can get into PostgreSQL using super user
on root and then super user into postgres. The problem is when I try to run
psql and createdb from my home directory. When I do that, I get the
following messages

$ createdb david
psql: FATAL 1: SetUserId: user 'david' is not in 'pg_shadow'

$ psql
psql: FATAL 1: Database "david" does not exist in the system catalog.

Not sure what is going on here, but I think someone out there does. Can you
help.

Thanks
Dave