Re: How to fully restore a single table from a custom dump?

From: Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to fully restore a single table from a custom dump?
Date: 2022-08-09 13:21:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

Am 09.08.22 um 14:49 schrieb MichaelDBA Vitale:
> Hi,
> If you use the directory dump method, -Fd, then you could generate an
> editable listing where you can selectively remove stuff that you don't
> want to restore, just keeping the stuff related to your specific
> table.   You run pg_restore once to generate the listing.  Then run
> pg_restore again using that modified listing to load into the target
> database. See the pg_restore docs for exact syntax.
> Regards,
> Michael Vitale
>> On 08/09/2022 8:06 AM EDT Thomas Kellerer <shammat(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I just realized that using
>> pg_restore -t some_table ... some_dump_file
>> doesn't restore things like identity attributes
>> or indexes on the specified table.
>> The dump contains much more than just that table, so simply
>> using pg_restore without -t is not an option.
>> While I could extract the indexes manually using some clever regex
>> on the index names, I don't see a way to make sure that identity
>> definitions (or sequence values) are restored properly for the
>> selected table.
>> Any ideas, how I can _fully_ restore a single table from a custom dump?
>> Thomas

Creating a list of contained items and restoring some of them works the
same with custom dumps. Directory dumps have no advantage here.

Just comment out all items you don't want to restore by putting a ; in
front of the lines or delete the unwanted lines altogether and restore.

Best regards,

Holger

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012