Re: Move pg_largeobject to a different tablespace *without* turning on system_table_mods.

From: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Move pg_largeobject to a different tablespace *without* turning on system_table_mods.
Date: 2016-10-18 14:26:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 18-10-2016 10:13, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
> From time to time pg_largeobject comes up as an issue with being
> implemented as a system-catalog.

Did you read the archives [1]?

> As I see it, there are 2 relevant use-cases for improving the situation:
> 1. Being able to pg_dump *without* any LOs (think of it as
> without the contents of pg_largeobject). This is very handy
> for testing/troubleshooting.

It could be an option (--no-blobs). The -b option has a limited use case.

> 2. Being able to move pg_largeobject to a different tablespace
> *without* turning on system_table_mods. This is important for
> people storing LOTS of large-objects on separate
> disks (non-SSD) and hence in a different tablespace.
> Anyone willing to discuss this?

This was proposed a few years ago but no one cared to draft a patch.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3073cc9b0910051618t693d15f3u265872908240d306@mail.gmail.com

--
Euler Taveira Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/