Re: Recovering / undoing transactions?

From: "Ivan Voras" <ivoras(at)freebsd(dot)org>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recovering / undoing transactions?
Date: 2007-11-07 23:37:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On 07/11/2007, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> It's not really possible to do that. The blogger might've thought he'd
> accomplished something but I seriously doubt that his database was
> consistent afterward. You can go back in time using PITR, if you had
> the foresight and resources to set up continuous archiving, but just
> whacking pg_xlog around is far from sufficient.

Ok, just to verify I'm thinking about it in the right way: in
abstract, with PITR, I would need a known-good starting point (e.g. a
full backup) + files from pg_xlog created from the time of the
starting-point, then restore the starting-point backup and then
restore from PITR/xlog up to the point I want?