Re: pg_update and encoding

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Graeme <graeme(at)gemmill(dot)name>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_update and encoding
Date: 2023-09-12 14:52:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On 9/12/23 04:49, Graeme wrote:
> Preparing to use pg_update, I used initdb to create the new pgsql/data,
> but pg_update has exited with

I'm guessing that is actually pg_upgrade:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgupgrade.html

> encodings for database "template1" do not match:  old "UTF8", new
> "SQL_ASCII"
>
> Should I delete pgsql/data and re-create with initdb -E "UTF8"?

Yes for two reasons:

1) The upgrade will not happen.

2) From here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/multibyte.html

"The SQL_ASCII setting behaves considerably differently from the other
settings. When the server character set is SQL_ASCII, the server
interprets byte values 0–127 according to the ASCII standard, while byte
values 128–255 are taken as uninterpreted characters. No encoding
conversion will be done when the setting is SQL_ASCII. Thus, this
setting is not so much a declaration that a specific encoding is in use,
as a declaration of ignorance about the encoding. In most cases, if you
are working with any non-ASCII data, it is unwise to use the SQL_ASCII
setting because PostgreSQL will be unable to help you by converting or
validating non-ASCII characters."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com