FTS on patterns

From: "Vyacheslav Kalinin" <vka(at)mgcp(dot)com>
To: PGSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: FTS on patterns
Date: 2008-08-05 14:03:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

In our application we need a pattern based text search, that is if user
supplies 'foo bar' he receives only documents containing words that begin
with 'foo' or 'bar', including themselves (something similar to MySQL '+foo*
+bar*' text search query). Currently we use separate table for unique words
in document and do LIKE 'foo%' search on that table, combining the results
afterwards, and I am not really happy with that solution because of its
speed and overcomplication of the queries involved. Does anyone know of a
better approach? Could this be achieved with Postgres full text search?