Re: MusicBrainz postgres performance issues

From: Robert Kaye <rob(at)musicbrainz(dot)org>
To: Josh Krupka <jkrupka(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MusicBrainz postgres performance issues
Date: 2015-03-15 12:07:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

> On Mar 15, 2015, at 12:13 PM, Josh Krupka <jkrupka(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> It sounds like you've hit the postgres basics, what about some of the linux check list items?
>
> what does free -m show on your db server?

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 48295 31673 16622 0 5 12670
-/+ buffers/cache: 18997 29298
Swap: 22852 2382 20470

> If the load problem really is being caused by swapping when things really shouldn't be swapping, it could be a matter of adjusting your swappiness - what does cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness show on your server?

0

We adjusted that too, but no effect.

(I’ve updated the blog post with these two comments)

> There are other linux memory management things that can cause postgres and the server running it to throw fits like THP and zone reclaim. I don't have enough info about your system to say they are the cause either, but check out the many postings here and other places on the detrimental effect that those settings *can* have. That would at least give you another angle to investigate.

If there are specific things you’d like to know, I’ve be happy to be a human proxy. :)

Thanks!

--

--ruaok

Robert Kaye -- rob(at)musicbrainz(dot)org <mailto:rob(at)musicbrainz(dot)org> -- http://musicbrainz.org <http://musicbrainz.org/>