Re: Schema tool

From: Aram Fingal <fingal(at)multifactorial(dot)com>
To: Postgres-General General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Schema tool
Date: 2010-11-11 21:45:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks, each of you for all the suggestions on schema generating tools. I haven't had a chance to evaluate them all yet but DBVisualizer looks pretty good. In the meanwhile I found SQL Power Architect, which is also free/open source, and can do this kind of diagraming but is not as good as DBVisualizer for my purposes. It has some other interesting features which would be of interest to someone working in an environment with several different kinds of databases. SchemaSpy looks to be a good option since the description mentions that they had to implement product-specific queries to support views but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Support for views is important to me and DBVisualizer and the other tools I have looked at so far, just display them as disconnected objects.

I was thinking of reporting back to this forum with advantages/disadvantages of each tool, as I see it, but realized that I was rapidly getting too far off topic for a list focused specifically on PostgreSQL.

-Aram