Re: unknown postgres ssl error "could not accept SSL connection: Success" and timeout

From: Rui DeSousa <rui(at)crazybean(dot)net>
To: Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unknown postgres ssl error "could not accept SSL connection: Success" and timeout
Date: 2023-05-04 16:40:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On May 4, 2023, at 4:16 AM, Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com> wrote:
>
> archive_mode = on
> archive_command = '/bin/true'
> archive_timeout = 300
>
> This is awkward. If you want archiving, use a command which does archiving, not /bin/true, which does nothing. Otherwise, turn archiving off and leave archive_command empty.

That is exactly how I setup a system that has archive_mode turned off. I never set archive_mode to off; as it very likely that I want to enable it in the future. When using “true” instead of off it allows the option to enabling/disabling arching without having the bounce the instance which requires scheduling downtime that is very difficult to get.